Designed With You In Mind
Our expert Employability Skills instructors will deliver virtual workshops to enhance your skills and keep you informed.
Workshops will provide:
- Easy meeting participation using the Zoom cloud-based video conferencing platform.
- Important information about staying engaged during the Coronavirus crisis.
- Instructions for using our alumni Facebook group, a place where you can communicate with other Goodwill graduates and get regular updates.
Choose A Workshop
Resumes and Cover Letters
This workshop offers best practices and valuable tips when creating resumes and cover letters to achieve success when applying for jobs. You’ll learn how to create effective and attractive resumes and cover letters that standout.
This workshop offers best practices and valuable tips for effectively interviewing for jobs. You’ll learn about common mistakes to avoid and how to present yourself successfully with potential employers.
It’s official: Positive language can change your brain. Basically, hearing and using positive language can make you feel good – physically, mentally and emotionally. Negative language, on the flip side, adds additional stress. We’ll practice turning every day phrases into more positive ones and learn how the power of words transforms conflict into cooperation.
Dealing with Stress
When faced with tough or demanding situations, we all respond to stress differently. This workshop will help you to identify your stressors, understand different responses to stress, and seek healthy ways to reduce your stress levels.
Games and Activities for the Family
During all the time at home during the current health crisis, join us in learning and sharing activities that keep kids learning. Using common household items, keep math, spelling, geography and writing skills alive for children of all ages and create stronger family bonds.
Tamara Smiley Hamilton, CEO of Audacious Coaching, LLC, will be facilitating our presentation and sharing tips and tools for managing the stress of building resilience in a COVID-19 world.
Tamara completed her leadership coaching training at Georgetown University. She holds an Advanced Coaching Certificate in Leadership and Well-Being from George Mason University. She is a master at helping people to grow and transform their lives. She is a Leadership Legacy coach for George Mason University where she coaches senior directors, associate provosts, faculty and vice-presidents. Her client list includes individuals and organizations.
When the 2016 Obama White House needed someone to teach presidential appointees public speaking skills, they called Tamara. When the U.S. Marines Corps needed a competent speaker to teach spouses of military officers around the world how to speak with power, passion, and confidence, they called Tamara.
She will inspire you, entertain you, and touch your heart as she demonstrates the power of public speaking and how it has impacted her life and career. She is an Accredited Speaker — the first Black woman in the world inducted into the Toastmasters Hall of Fame. A designation held by only 87 Toastmasters out of a membership of 366,000 worldwide in 146 countries. When she is not on stage, she is teaching public workshops on how to master public speaking skills. Tamara retired from the National Education Association in 2012 as its first Executive Coach for Leadership and Career Development. She is currently the CEO of Audacious Coaching, facilitating issues related to diversity, equity, and inclusion. You can learn more about Tamara on her website tamarashamilton.com.
Sign-up for the event using the registration below.
Financial Tips During The Coronavirus Crisis
This online workshop presented by Goodwill’s Workforce Development Department through our community partner, the Financial Empowerment Center of Britepath, will provide you with important tips, tools, and strategies to effectively cope financially during the current health crisis.
- Updates on expanded services, financial assistance/relief offered by the State of Virginia and the Federal Government.
- Budgeting tips and tools in time of crisis.
- Tips and strategies for maintaining financial health during COVID-19.
- Tips and strategies when dealing with lenders and creditors.
Borrowing & Using Credit Wisely
Being able to borrow money when you need it can help you achieve your goals and using credit wisely will enable you build up your credit score, which in turn allows you to borrow money with more favorable terms and conditions.
However, unless you are careful with your credit and borrowing, you can quickly find yourself in a position where you are spending more and more of your income servicing your debt.
In this class, you will learn:
- The ins and outs of borrowing.
- The warning signs of becoming overly indebted.
- The action items to manage your credit wisely.
- Tips and tools to help you build and maintain a good credit history.
Saving & Investing Wisely
No matter how much or little money you have, the important thing is to educate yourself about the different savings and investment options. Gaining this knowledge will help you secure your financial well-being.
In this class, we will cover:
- The basics of saving and investing.
- The terms and types of savings and investing options.
- The types of retirement plans.
- Saving and investing strategies.
- The levels of risk.
- How to invest wisely to help you achieve your financial goals.
How The Economy Affects Personal Finances
The nation’s and the world’s economies have a direct impact on our personal finances and how they affect our financial decisions. Gaining an understanding of the basic economic principles will empower you to make better financial decisions.
In this class, we will discuss:
- The current economic climate and how it is directly influencing your personal finances.
- The basic economic principles.
- The economic cycles.
- The economic indicators.
- The monetary and fiscal policies.
- How these items influence consumers and financial decisions.