According to a March 2017 Fox Business article, 23.7 million employees will use company time to build their NCAA basketball tournament brackets. And businesses stand to lose $615 million per hour in wages as a result!
While I am guilty of organizing a few office tournament pools and participating in many more, the scope of the American addiction is staggering.
Rather than waste valuable company time monitoring game scores throughout the business day, many people choose to take a day (or two!) off instead. Unfortunately, it’s hard to justify taking leave to watch basketball games, so workers find all kinds of reasons to justify their absence from the workplace.
While the volume of odd alibis is far larger than we have space to include here, below is our TOP 10 list of excuses for taking a sick day during the NCAA basketball tournament:
10. I woke up and couldn’t move my legs, so I have to walk to the doctor’s office.
9. I was at a concert last night and now I’m afraid my head will explode.
8. The sun was so bright when I went outside it temporarily blinded me.
7. My car broke down on the highway and AAA couldn’t get to me for about 8 hours.
6. I responded to two dozen emails after 5 PM last week, so I’m taking a comp day.
5. I thought I was getting on the metro, but accidentally boarded a train to New York.
4. I caught a cold and because it’s so cold outside, it’s twice as bad.
3. My suit is really dirty so I have to take it to the dry cleaner, but I’m paying extra for same day service!
2. My dog swallowed the deck my presentation was on, so I have to wait for him to poop it out.
1. I enjoy my job so much that I’m taking a day off to recover from the excitement!
We hope you enjoy our March Madness humor. If you have heard any wacky excuses for taking time off during the NCAA tournament, please share them with us!
Hope you win your pool…