During this season of giving, we would like to offer 10 helpful tips for anyone planning to make a year-end donation of used goods. These recommendations will help improve your donation experience by making it more efficient and well prepared during your drop-off.
- Try to make your donation as early in the day or as late in the day as possible when lines are typically shorter.
- Try to make your donation on a weekday. Weekends and holidays are usually much busier.
- Try to make your donation prior to Christmas. The last week of the year is the busiest week of the year for donations.
- Remember to get your donation receipt, make an accurate recording of your donation and a copy of your receipt…OR…
- Make sure to use the new donation management tool on the Goodwill of Greater Washington mobile app for iOS and Android. The tool allows the donor to build and manage their own donation receipts, edit them at their convenience and confirm donation center visits through the use of geo-fencing technology. No need to keep and itemize on small paper receipts – it’s all digital!
- Don’t forget to secure supporting documentation if you plan to claim a tax deduction on a large donation. Any item valued at over $5,000 will require an IRS form 8283. Please contact Goodwill before making any large donation at (202) 636-4225.
- Check to make sure Goodwill or your charity of choice can accept all of your items. Some donations are prohibited by law, pose a liability, may be subject to a recall or are simply too damaged to repurpose or resell. Please review the list of items Goodwill cannot accept.
- Remember to clean out your donated computer of all files, documents, discs and data before donating it. We will accept any computer or computer accessory in any condition, other than cracked monitors.
- Call Goodwill’s vehicle donation line at 1-866-GWCARS-0 or visit www.gwcars.org to schedule a convenient home pickup of your donated automobile, RV, boat or motorcycle.
Throughout the month of December anyone who donates a vehicle to us will receive a FREE Dinner or Lunch for up to 4 people from il Canale Restaurant in Georgetown.
- **BE CERTAIN that the organization to which you’re making your donation is a certified 501(c)3 charitable agency. Many organizations that accept donations are actually for-profit companies and you cannot claim a tax deduction when donating to them.