Public donations are the lifeblood of Goodwill's retail operation. We accept gently used clothing, furniture, housewares, working electronics and many other items, then resell them to help fund our employment, job training and placement services for people with disabilities and disadvantages. Please check our Donation Guidelines & FAQ's for a complete list of items we do and do not accept. You may take your donations to the nearest attended Donation Center, arrange a pick-up, or find one of our donation bins in your neighborhood.
If you believe the value of your donation is over $5,000, and if you plan to claim a charitable tax deduction for your donation, you may need to have Goodwill complete certain tax forms to be able to claim a charitable deduction. Before making a donation of that value, please call Goodwill at (202) 636-4225.
Goodwill will provides a FREE Donation Pickup Service to the location of your choice. This FREE service is beneficial if you have large or many items you would like to donate, and have not the resources to transport them to a Goodwill local donation center.
Due to the high volume of requests for the FREE Home Pickup service you will need to schedule your request 6 - 8 weeks in advance. There is also an 8 item minimum requirement for our FREE Home Pickup service.
If you need a pickup sooner or have less than the minimum amount of items, please refer to our 48 Hour donation pickup service (This is not free but does offer additional benefits). Please make sure all donations are transportable and in an accessible area. Our transportation personnel will NOT remove items from attics, basements or carry item up/down stairs.
Your donation is still tax-deductible when using our FREE home pickup service.
Please completely fill out this form to submit a FREE Home Pickup Request (* required).
Unacceptable donations will be separated from acceptable donations when items are processed at a Goodwill donation center.
Please click here to view a full list of items that we do not accept.
Once the form has been successfully submitted please allow Goodwill to contact you to schedule your donation pickup within 5 business days.
The confirmation email you receive only confirms that you have submitted a pickup request and NOT confirmation of your pickup. Pickup requests are scheduled in the order that they are received.
If there are any additional questions or concerns about the FREE Home Pickup Service please contact:
Here are 8 easy steps to planning your event (we recommend that you allow 2-6 weeks for planning).
1. Form a small group of people to coordinate the drive.
2. Decide on the period of time you will be holding the drive (suggested time is 2-3 weeks).
4. Choose a theme for your drive (ex: run the drive in connection with a Holiday, special event, or corporate initiative).
5. Establish commitment from key players in your group or organization (Ex: management, administrators, teachers, etc.)
6. Set a goal for the amount of items or pounds of goods you will collect. Suggest that each participant bring in one dozen household goods or clothing neatly folded or on hangers.
7. Decide if additional promotional materials will be needed to successfully promote the drive and contact the Goodwill Marketing & Communications Manager. The materials available for promotion include: brochures, posters, balloons.
8. Organize the delivery of the donations at the end of the drive with Goodwill Marketing & Communications Manager. Goodwill can provide donation receipts as needed.
Let people know what you are doing and how to get involved. Here are some suggestions:
- Schedule a fun kick-off event.
- Display posters and information in key locations throughout the office (ex: copy room, break room, elevator ).
- Host a “Spread the Goodwill” information meeting. Take a few minutes in the morning or at the end of a meeting to explain how they can make a difference!
- Include an article about the drive in your company newsletter.
- Send a companywide e-mail.
- Include a flyer in employee paychecks.
- Set up a display or bulletin board in the office or break room to inform coworkers of the project. Use the enclosed flyers to compliment the display.
- Develop a collection system and create a drop-off location/ box in a central location (ex: lobby).
It is always important to make the event fun for everyone involved. Here are some ideas:
- Encourage friendly competition between departments, classes, and offices.
- Challenge a rival company or school.
- Offer incentives or prizes (ex: stickers, dress-down days, pizza party).
- Organize a fashion show with the donated clothing.
- Assign a point value to different items and have an incentive for the person or team with the most points (ex: jeans – 10 points, shirts – 5 points, shoes – 8 points).
Celebrate the success and announce the results. Calculate the success of your donation drive with our Donation Impact Calculator. Here are some simple ways to follow-up and say thank-you:
- Give each of the donors a certificate of appreciation to acknowledge their participation (A sample is included in the packet and is available as a pdf).
- Send thank you cards, letters or e-mails to show your appreciation.
- Send a companywide e-mail to announce the overall results and acknowledge the participants.
- Include the results of the drive in a follow-up newsletter.
- Throw a party to celebrate the success of the drive.
The Donate Movement
Your donation of used goods can make a difference for people in your community, and help make a healthier planet as well. The Donate Movement, powered by Goodwill®, challenges all of us to donate conscientiously and responsibly.
Page 1 of 2